Sunday, October 16, 2011

INTERNET MUST HAVE A SECRET OWNER

After years of puttering around on the internet your Commander has come to the conclusion that the vast successful internet system must have a secret behind-the-scenes owner. Permit me to explain my conclusion.

Frequently when I am on the internet I have reason to print some reference material or print an article that I want to read at my leisure and not while on-line. All too frequently when I do that I think I have an article or reference item that is about one or two pages in length, but I get 10, 20 or even 40 pages of absolutely nothing, comments I did not know were there, or a bunch of unwanted advertising filling those additional pages.

Your Commander has come to the conclusion that there is a conspiracy to kill millions of acres of trees and empty millions of print cartridges that will feed profits to the real owners of the internet and printer companies, which must be paper mills around the world. What do you think?

Upon further reflection I guess I could learn to use the damn computer more efficiently thereby saving a lot of trees in the process and cut the paper companies’ profits significantly. I have, however, learned to utilize both sides of most of my printed paper (save those that have confidential information, which I then shred). This makes me feel at least a little bit smarter in my older age.

Note, this is the kind of commentary old men write when they run out of intelligent subjects to address on a rainy fall autumn morning.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: