Sunday, October 9, 2011

CHINESE PROVERBS

The other day I treated myself to a great lunch at my favorite local Chinese restaurant, and at the end of the meal I was awarded the usual Chinese fortune cookie. I have long felt that the fortune cookie was a great gimmick that brought smiles to the faces of young and old alike.

My fortune cookie had a great Chinese proverb, which was “Humor is an affirmation of dignity.” Well said, and something all can use to enhance our daily lives.

With that in mind I chose to do a Google search on the subject of Chinese Proverbs and found a treasure trove, which I want to share with you via this link:

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Chinese_Proverb/

Your Commander especially liked “A book is like a garden carried in the pocket” and “A filthy mouth will not utter decent language.

You might also enjoy the Chinese Proverbs quoted here:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Chinese_proverbs

These ten pages of proverbs are a wonderful composite, and represent a plethora of sound advice to guide life’s adventures.

I particularly enjoyed, “When the tree falls, the monkeys scatter” and “Wealth does not pass three generations.”

It is important to remember that these words do not emanate from the current century, but from an ancient time that still resonates within the Chinese culture. The China of today still holds the family unit in very high regard, places great emphasis on education, and the elderly are protected and treated with great respect. Do you suppose these virtues contribute to China’s cultural revival and their current booming economy?

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: