Monday, August 22, 2011

NINE THINGS SOON TO DISAPPEAR

Several weeks ago I received an email from a friend in sweltering Texas, and was struck by several significant things in our life experience that are predicted to vanish in the near future. I urge you to take a look at the attached which was posted on Facebook.com.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=239449466067055

Looking at the nine items there are several I believe we can live comfortably without such as the Post Office (I have written about that), checks, print editions of newspapers, hard cover books, land line telephones, and some things I own. However, I would greatly miss the loss of music, television and especially privacy issues.

The internet has changed the way we do many things and will likely continue to do so. The internet provides such speed to communicate and provides many more inventive ways to move forward. But, the privilege of being nearly 80 years old allows me to look back fondly at the time when we wrote letters and put stamps on them so they could be delivered.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: