Sunday, September 11, 2011

WE WILL NOT FORGET

Today is one of those days in each of our lives where we will always remember where we were when the first plane hit the World Trade Center in New York City ten years ago. Sadly there are far too many days in my life that I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing, i.e., December 7, 1941 (Pearl Harbor), November 22, 1963 (the day President John F. Kennedy was assassinated), August 8, 1974 (Richard Nixon resigned the presidency). Ten years ago I added September 11, 2001 to my list of tragic historical events.

This morning I watched the CBS Sunday Morning news program and its coverage at the site of the World Trade Center Memorial, which was some of the most emotional and moving television coverage I have ever witnessed. Then I read the wonderful piece written my Peggy Noonan in The Wall Street Journal online:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904836104576558933073846412.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read#printMode

As Noonan so eloquently wrote “You’ve got to be loyal to pain sometimes to be loyal to the glory that came out of it.”

To that your Commander would like to add my personal blessing to all those Americans who lost their lives, as well as the hundreds of surviving victims who were injured by this vicious attack, and the families and friends left behind.

Let’s remember them all with this famous Irish blessing:

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields, and,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

God Bless America.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: