Saturday, May 15, 2010

DO YOU KNOW HOW YOUR CONGRESSMAN VOTED?

That is a simple question that came to my mind when I recently wrote a commentary about some surprising Congressional legislation. Frequently we read or hear about all the good things our elected officials are doing, but we rarely actually know how he or she voted on the day to day government initiatives.

Let me suggest that you take a peek at a very good source of information about the actions of your Senators and Congressman as presented by the Washington Post newspaper:

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/

You will see a bio, key votes, missed votes, voting record with their party, latest votes, district information and even the rather unspecific financial disclosure information.

For instance I learned that my Congressman, Joe Donnelly (D-IN), who claims in his frequent taxpayer paid mailings that he is fighting for me as an independent Democrat supporting Hoosier values. This strongly suggests that he is not in the hip pocket of the Democrat Party and/or the current Administration. The report from the Washington Post however suggests otherwise, because it shows he has voted 88.6% of the time with his Democrat colleagues. That does not indicate to me much independence; to the contrary his rather strict party obedience and loyalty shows.

Your Commander first came to the Michiana area way back in 1946 as a YMCA camper at Camp Eberhart, and the next year I entered the Culver Summer Naval School in nearby Culver, Indiana. When I was appointed the General Manager of WSJV-TV back in 1992 I moved to Granger, Indiana. Since living here, I have heard numerous politicians refer to HOOSIER VALUES, and for the life of me I do not know what in the hell that means. I suggest it is the creation of some highly paid political consultant or advertising guru or just plain bull excrement. No matter where you live, I bet you have verbose politicians too, so you best learn all you can about them.

You may be surprised to learn that your politicians are not voting in a fashion that justifies your vote for them. Your Commander suggests that a well informed voter is a much more effective and functioning citizen.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: