Monday, July 18, 2011

THE SMITHSONIAN - AMERICA'S TREASURE

Your Commander has been blessed with two wonderful children who raised two wonderful children each. Each Christmas, birthday or Father’s Day they kindly remember their old Dad with a card and, knowing my love of reading, often send a book or enclose a gift card for Barnes & Noble or Borders.

This past Father’s Day I heard from both with a gift card from my son and a subscription to Smithsonian Magazine from my daughter. I cannot tell you how impressed I am with Smithsonian Magazine. It is loaded with numerous articles covering a wide assortment of topics. The first two issues I have received so far are just simply marvelous.

I highly recommend you take a look at the magazine the next time you are at your local library or book store, because I am certain you, too, will be quickly interested in its contents. After close to 80 years there is so much that I do not know. I wish I could start my life’s journey all over again so I would start reading more when I was younger and take greater advantage of the availability of knowledge.

It has been many years since I was last in our nation’s capitol and visited some of the numerous buildings that make up The Smithsonian, but I remember well just how important the facilities are to our country. If you are ever in Washington, D.C. be certain to devote some time at these precious museums that celebrate the greatest country in the world.

Thanks to the foresight of my children I am learning something new each and every day. Don’t miss the opportunity to broaden your horizons and appreciation of life on this unique planet we call Earth.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: