Sunday, July 17, 2011

"THE FACTOR" VOCABULARY LIST

Yes, I am guilty of my son’s suggestion that I view Bill O’Reilly’s Factor program a little too much. I plead guilty as charged, but believe I have sufficient objectivity to recognize the excesses of his program. You must give the devil his due; O’Reilly does provide his viewers with both sides of the story, although there is a heavy dose of O’Reilly's mostly conservative theories in each program.

The point of this report is to draw your attention to a wonderful feature of O’Reilly’s weeknight program and that is “the word of the day”, which is one of the features that draws me to his act. Words are just wonderful and bring a refinement to any and all communication.

If you are not familiar with this feature attached is an easy link to read the entire list of THE FACTOR VOCABULARY LIST.

http://www.billoreilly.com/g/Factor-Vocabulary/552.html

As noted there are many great words that really define specific deeds, actions, and individuals. I especially like the definition of bloviate, because it so well defines our political rhetoric. Interesting, however, is the fact that when I investigated the word in my copy of “Webster’s New World Dictionary” and “The Living Webster Encyclopedic Dictionary of the English Language”, as well as dictionary.com, there was absolutely no reference to the word.

Admittedly, he says many of the words are obscure or obsolete; it does make me wonder if some of the words on the list are really creations of O’Reilly or individuals in his audience who provide him with suggestions for inclusion on the program.

Enjoy, and don’t get your knickers in a knot over O’Reilly’s over-the-top interview style. Remember it is all intent upon getting a reaction and, more importantly, strong ratings. To date, he has succeeded.

Fair warning, if you begin to use some of the words, you may be identified as a "Factor watcher."
COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: