Wednesday, March 2, 2011

SECRET RADIO

It seems that everyday a new form of electronic communication appears on the market. The latest craze appears to be with ever-changing cell phones, electronic readers, and tablet computers. Almost lost in the explosion of new devices can be found an old standby – RADIO, but it is growing just off the horizon in the form of Internet Radio.

While commercial radio was once reported to be doomed with the development of the FM band, the last twenty years has seen resurgence in AM radio, especially with sizable audiences attracted to the talk-radio format. Commercial radio, while struggling, on the whole continues to be economically successful.

In November, 1994 a Rolling Stones concert was the first major cyberspace multicast concert and with that Internet Radio exploded on the scene. Did you know that you can find over 10,000 radio station web pages and over 2,500 audio streams from radio stations in the U.S. and around the world? If you’re interested in finding an internet station webcast just check out this website:

http://www.radio-locator.com

Many of these stations have very small listenership, but a few have huge audiences and are commercially successful. As an example let me suggest you take a listen to one that my son in Dallas, Texas created and programs. He operates it as a hobby with a growing number of ardent listeners. Take a minute and check it out:

www.FREEWAYRADIO.COM

You will note that it is a country & western format and is commercial free. I frequently connect and take a ride on the Freeway on my computer for several hours per day just as I once did with commercial AM or FM radio. I find the non-commercial format a pleasant alternative to the constant blasting of advertising from my local radio stations. Commercial television has become so dominated by advertising and short on content that I now find myself shifting back to radio while I accomplish various tasks throughout the day.

I hope I have given you an alternative entertainment source to investigate and enjoy.

COMMANDER GRANGER

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Texas Lieutenant thanks you for this endorsement!!