Monday, July 19, 2010

THE VOICE OF GOD

Yes, I can tell you that I did hear the voice of God some twenty years ago. It was on a clear warm spring evening in New York City, and I was having a couple of pops with some broadcasting friends on the lower level of 30 Rockefeller Center. As the evening passed, someone suggested we go to the Yankee baseball game. We all jumped in a cab, and off we went to Yankee Stadium.

I know it was a long time ago, because the tickets were very inexpensive for great seats right along the third base line. Just before the singing of The Star Spangled Banner, a booming, magnificent voice came over the public address system and Yankee Stadium fell so quiet you could hear a pin drop. “Good Evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to Yankee Stadium.”

I did not know it at the time, but it was the legendary voice of Bob Sheppard, “The Voice of the Yankees,” who died a few days ago at the wonderful old age of 99. Let me tell you I have never had the same experience as I had that evening, and the memory has lasted all these ensuing years. His commanding, clear, articulate voice made the game something special, and he continued as he introduced each and every player as they came to the plate. A New York Sports writer once said that Bob had the “Voice of God."

Rarely are their voices such as Bob’s, and his was part of the Yankee mystique. Something has been lost in baseball with the passing of a wonderful human being who represented everything that is special about the game of baseball, America’s Game.

This was one of the highlights of my long life, and I thank God that I had the privilege to experience one of the great pros and voices in the history of sports. Baseball, America, and the entire world will miss Bob Sheppard, but we are all the better for his rich contribution to life on this Planet.

Thanks Bob Sheppard and May you Rest in Peace.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: