Wednesday, February 9, 2011

SUPER BOWL ZEITGEIST

Like millions of my fellow Americans I too sat through the endless hours of Super Bowl television coverage. Recognizing that I now am a minute segment of one in the demographic profiles that advertising agencies and their clients totally ignore, my opinion has little or no significant value.

For what it is worth, I am of the opinion that the National Football League has gone totally over the cliff in its sheer arrogance and greed to secure the almighty dollar. And network sportscasters are now commercial promotional proponents calling attention to the sponsorship of the aerial high-definition camera, etc.

Rather than bore you with my negative comments let me suggest that you take a look at Hank Stuever’s excellent comments in his Washington Post article titled “Cultural zeitgeist, scored by Super Bowl commercials”.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020700184_pf.html

Being totally honest with my loyal readers I had to look up the definition of “zeitgeist”, which is “the spirit of the times” or “the spirit of the age”.

There really isn’t much more to say about the over-produced, over-promotion of Fox network programs, and totally over-commercialized 2011 Super Bowl. Oh! Yes, but the game was worth watching.

COMMANDER GRANGER
,

No comments: