Sunday, October 11, 2009

OBAMA VANITY

Editor's Note: Written October 10th

My dear departed Irish Mother used to tell me when I bragged about something that “self pride stinks.” That old expression applies to me when I wallow in a glow when I read that others share my previously stated opinions. Your Commander is guilty as charged.

For months I have been harping about our President Obama’s frequent reference to “I, me, mine” in his almost daily appearances in one form of the media or another. This reference is supported in the October 10th Washington Post column of George F. Will. Will specifically noted that the president used the personal pronouns "I" or "me" 26 times in 48 sentences in his speech to the International Olympic Committee in Copenhagen in his failed pitch for Chicago to be the site of the 2016 Olympics. He also noted that at the same IOC meeting, Michelle Obama used some form of the personal pronouns “I” or “me” an amazing 44 times.

On this brisk autumn morning the airwaves are full of the talking heads expressing their left and right opinions regarding the Nobel Peace Prize being awarded to President Barack Obama. My local newspaper ran a poll, and the early results indicate that 66% of their readers feel he does not deserve the award at this time. While I do not consider this to be a scientific study, it is certainly an indication of one local community’s feelings.

Personally, I feel the Nobel Peace Prize will be a huge burden on Obama’s presidency. The entire world will expect Obama to accomplish goals that in reality are beyond the scope of any politician’s influence. While he considers himself far superior to anyone else in stature and ability, he may well suffer greatly as a result of the Eurocentric Nobel Peace Prize Committee’s judgment. I suggest that they have placed a monkey on Obama’s back. I hope and pray for our sake that I am wrong, but only time will tell.

Obviously, it is far too early to draw realistic conclusions on this subject, but I find it most interesting to hear fervent supporters of Obama already suggesting that the prize may be ill-advised at this early stage of his reign. The one thing that Obama does not want or need at this time is for overly critical eyes being directed to his agenda and policies. It sure would be fun to be a mouse in the corner of the Oval Office to hear the bravado being espoused by David Axelrod, Rahm Emanuel, and even Obama the Great himself. Some caution a slowing of Obama’s frantic pace, and instead seeking some real accomplishments could be sound advice. This award may become a crisis for Obama, and one his Chicago henchmen cannot manipulate to their advantage.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: