Sunday, June 12, 2011

FIVE MYTHS ABOUT THE AMERICAN FLAG

Your Commander’s reverence for the American flag goes way back to my earliest days as a Cub Scout and later advanced through the ranks of the Boy Scouts. I will always regret the fact that I failed to attain the rank of Eagle Scout by one merit badge, but I am most proud of the fact that both my son and grandson achieved that important, unique distinction.

My respect for the flag was promoted by my Father who was a proud member and a Captain in the 33rd Division of the Illinois Army National Guard’s 122nd Mounted Field Artillery and that respect continued when I attended Culver Military Academy's Naval School prior to volunteering in the Regular United States Air Force.

All that said, a very informative article in The Washington Post recently caught my eye, and when I read it I was surprised by the contents that set straight several myths about our precious flag. In an effort to get you to read the article it sets straight the real facts about Betsy Ross as the creator of our flag.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-the-american-flag/2011/06/08/AG3ZSkOH_print.html

Hopefully you will join me in flying our beautiful flag, and on each occasion that you see our flag you will salute it and extend your respect and appreciation for the service rendered by our military veterans.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: