Monday, September 27, 2010

SMILE!

With all the bad news floating around our lives these days, I believe it is essential that we all take a few minutes to appreciate all the wonderful and positive things we experience each day. Those of us who are uniquely privileged to live in the United States of America have much to be thankful for every minute of our existence.

A good friend recently shared with me a comment he said his late father frequently spoke when he was a young boy growing up in central Ohio.

“You’re not fully dressed for the day until you put a smile on your face.”

Don’t you feel the love and family values that father shared with his child? Sadly we have far too little of that in this hectic, fast paced time.

My well-read Editor suggests that the comment, which might have been common during the Great Depression, reprised itself in the Broadway play “Annie”, and may have had its roots in the comic strip Little Orphan Annie. I do not know about you, but I frequently find great joy and comfort in expressions and stories that date back to my childhood or as I call them, THE GOOD OLD DAYS. There is a big life lesson in one word...SMILE!

COMMANDER GRANGER

1 comment:

RobnTeegsMom said...

Good advice Commander. I find that a friendly smile usually helps to assuage the grouchy store clerks!