Saturday, February 20, 2010

TIGER WOODS' REMARKS

The airwaves and print media are filled this morning with post mortems regarding Tiger Woods’ staged performance yesterday. He certainly looked embarrassed that his behavior brought him to that day. He also looked uncomfortable reading his remarks, but he did seem contrite and truly apologetic.

I don’t blame him for not taking questions. Can’t you just imagine the inappropriate queries possibly thrown at him, i.e., Did you always wear a condom?, Which hotels helped you keep your secrets?, Were all of the women white? You see what I mean. Ultimately he will have to at least sit through a few interviews where real journalists will ask real and appropriate questions.

Personally I believe it will be a very long time before Woods is again cheered by his once legion of fans. Only time will tell us how he handles the attention swirling around the tragic abuse of his lofty position. Tiger is a perfect example of money and power leading to ruin. He said it himself yesterday when he admitted that somewhere along the line “I convinced myself normal rules didn’t apply. I thought I could get away with whatever I wanted to do, I felt I was entitled.”

In the pages of today’s South Carolina Beaufort Gazette there is a most appropriate quote from author Orlson Sweet Marden that hits the nail on the head, “Success is not measured by what you accomplish but by the opposition you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds.”

Tiger will no doubt return to golf sometime in the next year, but your Commander wonders if he can ever regain the degree of notoriety and respect he enjoyed before his arrogance and selfishness got the best of him.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: