Monday, June 14, 2010

BAN THE VUVUZELAS IMMEDIATELY

With all the publicity attached to the FIFA World Cup 2010 soccer matches in South Africa which began last week, I tuned in to the England vs. USA game this past Saturday. I was immediately struck by a shrill and annoying noise and learned quickly that it is a custom in South Africa to blow Vuvuzela horns at their soccer games.

I found the buzzing noise so distracting that I quickly turned the channel to another program that did not give me an instant headache. Admittedly I am not a huge fan of soccer, but I recognize the sport’s international popularity, and I am trying to develop an appreciation of the game. Clearly the participants must have great endurance and skill, but it is just not my game of choice at this point in time.

It is your Commander’s opinion that the organizers must address the buzzing noise the Vuvuzelas create or the games will draw very low viewing ratings around the world with anyone other than true soccer aficionados. I believe the Vuvuzela will set back growing U.S. interest in soccer, and the excitement of the World Cup will be greatly diminished.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: