Friday, July 24, 2009

COMMON SENSE DILEMMA

Hopefully you have or will read Glenn Beck’s best selling pamphlet book, “Common Sense.” A good friend recently loaned me her copy, and when I started to read it I found that I could not put the book down for one minute.

In stating that I have a dilemma with “Common Sense” it is solely due to the fact that I am not a fan of Glenn Beck as a radio or television performer. He makes me uncomfortable and his brand of humor I find to be beneath his obvious high level of intelligence. When one listens or views Beck there is no doubt that he has a great command of the issues confronting our country, but all the waving of arms and hysterical expressions just leaves me cold.

That said, I strongly suggest you read this new book, which was inspired by Thomas Paine’s magnificent original1776 pamphlet “Common Sense.” Paine’s work was well received, and was instrumental in bringing about the colonial separation from British rule. Both Beck’s and Paine’s well presented words accurately portray conditions now and then. The similarities of the levels of discontent then and now are clearly evident and well addressed.

Happy reading, and remember that a well informed voter is better equipped to cast a more intelligent, well reasoned vote.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: