Friday, May 8, 2009

THE BLOGOSPHERE

Some senior citizens have hobbies such as gardening, woodworking, painting, and I have selected blogging as mine. Lately, my hobby has come under criticism, because of so-called “bad bloggers”; people who use a blog to promote incorrect information, phony things, and themselves. As far as your Commander is concerned that is fine with me, since no one requires you to read or pay for anything I have to say.

Way back in 1906 Voltaire said; “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”. I think that expresses my sentiments precisely, and I will fight like hell to guarantee our mutual rights under the First Amendment of our precious Constitution addressing every American citizen’s freedom of speech. Al Neuharth the founder of USA Today had an excellent column in the May 8th issue entitled “Should bad bloggers have press freedom?” Al firmly believes they should and that it is your obligation to carefully consider the source, and accuracy of a blog’s content.

As a student of history, I have learned that politicians have been vicious going back to colonial days when pamphlets were published containing brutal, unsubstantiated charges, so these current blogging concerns are not something new…just in a new, modern medium. I find it hysterical that some current political operatives such as James Carville, Rahm Emanuel, David Axelrod, Senator Harry Reid, Congressman Barney Frank, and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi feel that right-wing talk radio or the Blogosphere is out of line when they were dishing out the very same inflammable babble during the Bush 41 and 43 Administrations. Sound, reasoning minds can easily distinguish facts from exaggerated verbiage, but Republicans and Democrats both have very short, selfish memories.

One great danger of misinformation is that if someone tells a lie a sufficient number of times there is a tendency for uninformed people to believe the lies. Both advertisers and politicians have proven that statement to be correct.

Many months ago your Commander expressed his intent to be a provocateur and to encourage expanding discussion on various subjects. I really do not care if you agree with me, but I will continue to be accurate in the hope you will become interested and motivated to enter the conversation. Disagreement, discussion, consideration, debate, compromise, resolution, and action are core foundational ingredients that contribute to our magnificent democracy.

Blogging is a wonderful exercise for one’s mind. Try it someday; I believe you might enjoy the results.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: