Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I WISH I COULD TAKE CREDIT

No sooner did I post my suggestions for controlling spiraling college tuitions (9/12/09) than Time magazine’s website carried an article on recent cost-cutting actions taken by some institutions of higher learning. Unfortunately none of the cuts noted addressed my specific concerns on tenure or unwarranted union contracts.

Most of the cuts specified in the Time article are obvious and should have occurred a long time ago, such as reducing trash collection and window washing to save $122,000 at the University of Colorado. If you are interested, take a look at the full article:

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1921613,00.hrml

Some solutions are really innovative such as virtual swim meets, and I applaud the fortitude it took to eliminate under-utilized programs that reduce significant costs. It takes real guts, clear thinking outside of the box, and innovation to make responsible budgetary decisions.

Three cheers for some original thinking in the hallowed Halls of Ivy across the country.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: