Saturday, January 31, 2009

NEW READING

After spending the Christmas holidays in the hospital, I returned home and a bounty of wonderful gifts from my wife and children. Knowing my love of reading, I received several great books that have kept me busy for the past four weeks.

While January is fast slipping away it is not too late to get a copy of William J. Bennett and John T.E. Cribb’s THE AMERICAN PATRIOT’S ALMANAC. This is a magnificent book and a page is devoted to each date of the year with unique historical information, plus a series of events occurring on those dates. I have the book on my desk and each morning I start my morning by reading the historical event of the day. This book is a true treasure and an excellent addition to your library.

While I reported reading David Halberstam’s THE COLDEST WINTER several weeks ago, I find myself putting the book aside and then returning to it from time to time. Having served in Korea during the closing days of the War, I find myself learning insightful information previously unknown to a then 21 year old Staff Sergeant serving on an isolated K-Site along the Yellow Sea. There are valuable lessons in this book our government can learn as we confront our current world hostilities.

Ted Bell’s wonderful series of adventure stories surrounding his character Alex Hawke continue to draw my attention and enjoyment.

Then there is Clive Cussler and Dirk Cussler’s latest action adventure ARCTIC DRIFT. Their work is good as ever, but I have read so many of the Cussler books that they are becoming predictable. This is a very quick read.

Michael Wolff has a wonderfully well researched book, THE MAN WHO OWNS THE NEWS: Inside the Secret world of Rupert Murdoch. Having a long working relationship with advertising, media, and broadcasting this book caught my eye quickly. The book covers Murdoch’s rise from obscurity in Australia to one of the giants of the media world and includes his acquisition of The Wall Street Journal. The reader quickly realizes that Murdoch has paid a heavy price for his success with three marriages that produced five children who all have their own idiosyncrasies. Clearly, money does not buy happiness, at least not for Murdoch.

Last, but not least, is a fascinating read by Robert K. Wilcox TARGET PATTON: The plot to assassinate General George S. Patton. Wilcox has done a great job of digging deep into the various theories that have been floating around since Patton’s suspicious death at the end of World War ll. Having a long standing interest in military history, I found the book most revealing about true and rarely documented actions of Presidents that are held in high regard. The average American citizen does not know that Presidents Roosevelt, Truman, and Eisenhower all made decisions that caused the death of thousands of American troops. The infiltration of Communists in the Roosevelt administration was blatant. You will find it very surprising that all three Presidents made decisions knowing that thousands were headed to their death or life-long imprisonment. I am certain that you will agree after reading this book that it is apparent that Patton was assassinated by the Russians or in cooperation with the American government.

I hope that I have whet your appetite for some of these wonderful books. As my years advance, my books have become dear friends. They always provide me with a greater appreciation of life. My study and family room contain hundreds of cherished volumes covering a wide array of subjects.

I hope you have pleasurable reading during these absurdly cold winter months,

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: