Tuesday, December 23, 2008

BLESSINGS TO COUNT

It is difficult to believe that Christmas is two days away, and the New Year is just around the corner. I guess the expression “TIME PASSES QUICKLY WHEN YOU ARE HAVING FUN” is very accurate. To say that LIFE IS GOOD is an understatement.

As each year passes I know that I will have fewer holiday seasons to enjoy but, God willing, I intend to appreciate a number more. Life on this wondrous planet Earth is a unique privilege that we all too often take for granted.

My dear Father has been gone for thirty-two years just short of his 83rd birthday and my Mother passed nearly 11 years ago at age 94, and I can tell you that I miss them more with each passing year. Frequently I find myself talking with them in my mind when I need advice, because I know now that their council was always very sound.

I remember that when the holiday seasons approached Dad seemed to go into a blue funk. It took me several years to understand that shortly after I was born he was the very last living part of his family, and had no remaining “first” family. I now know how much he missed his father, mother and sister, and that was the reason behind his mood swing.

Fortunately, I do not have the same problem facing me, because I am blessed with a loving wife, two wonderful children, and three living grandchildren. The holidays will be forever sad, because we lost our oldest grandchild when he was only 24 years old, and his passing came just three years ago at Christmas time. Rob was a unique child, and he is now at peace after suffering with severe illness most of his life. Some days I sit in my study and talk to his picture too, and I am not ashamed to admit that to you.

Our great country is currently going through a very difficult economic period, but I remain confident that we will get back on track soon. This is a time for all Americans to appreciate the many blessing we have here in the United States. One only has to look at the different situations confronting citizens in underdeveloped countries. I have been honored to have traveled to many places in this world, and I can assure you that there is no place on earth that has the quality of life that is found right here in our own backyard.

This is a time for all the peoples of the world to join hands, and work objectively to solve the deficiencies that confront our collective future. As the year comes to a close it is a good time to re-read the founding documents of our country, such as the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence. Following the words of our Founding Fathers will serve us well. They got it right and we must be vigilant to see that we do not stray away from our Founder’s abiding principals.

May GOD BLESS AMERICA, and may he guide us to learn how all peoples of the world can live peacefully together. Life on this gorgeous planet is too unique or valuable to waste. What ever your religion be, may I wish you a joyful holiday season, and for me may it is Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. As Tiny Tim might say, “God bless us everyone.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: