Tuesday, May 17, 2011

IN-STATE TUITION FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS?

This morning I received an email from an Arlington, Va. based lobbying firm called Numbers USA for Lower Immigration Levels. Now for the record I do not belong to this organization, but somehow they got my email address and they wanted me to email my Senators and Congressman urging them to oppose any legislation that would permit illegal aliens to secure in-state tuition eligibility.

Frankly, I have not been familiar with his issue, but without any prior investigation or information I am basically opposed to granting illegal aliens in-state tuition, if for no other reason ILLEGAL IS ILLEGAL. It is my understanding that most universities and colleges receive both state and federal support in one form and another, and I know they are hurting badly with the economic downturn and cuts in educational funding.

I know my alma mater, the University of Illinois, has increased enrollment of foreign students who pay out-of-state tuition to increase tuition revenues, but they justify their action on the basis of increasing the educational experience of their in-state student base. Personally I believe it is good to be exposed to students from foreign lands, but I believe it is a bogus argument emanating from some narrow minded, egghead academics trying to off-set budget shortfalls in the name of educational enhancement.

Rather than get on another mailing list from an organization that will ultimately want some of my money I did not respond to the urging in the email that I sign a petition and send emails to my Washington contingent. I did, however, send a personally originated email urging my state’s Congressional delegates to vote against any legislation that would grant in-state tuition to illegal aliens.

I urged my representatives to first secure both our borders, and then address as unemotionally as possible comprehensive immigration reform. In the meantime I urged them to recognize ILLEGAL IS ILLEGAL and any granting of in-state tuition to illegal aliens would be illegal. Additionally this debate ignores the legal foreign aliens who are paying very high out-of-state tuition rates.

While I do not agree with the tone of a website I found, it does provide a good review of the issue, and you can see it at:

http://www.aascu.org/media/pm/pdf/in-state_tuition07.pdf

Clearly the American Association of State Colleges and Universities has an ax to grind, and I do not agree with their position. Ten states, all with large illegal populations, have supported in-state payments, but that does not make it right and justified. It defies the laws of our land. I believe as I suggested earlier they are using the theory that inter-action with foreign students justifies in-state tuition payments. I urge those foreign students to get legal first and then we can still have the desired interaction that is beneficial to all concerned.

It is time for all politicians to stop buying votes on the backs of legal and illegal aliens, and that is just what most of our legislators are doing.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: