Friday, October 2, 2009

HERE'S A GREAT READ FOR ALL AGES

Having just finished reading Mildred Armstrong Kalish’s "LITTLE HEATHENS," I can whole heartedly recommend this charming book to readers of all ages. While it is not a word I use frequently, I believe this is a precious book that will warm your heart and bring back many fond memories, especially if you’re in your 70’s or 80’s.

Mildred was raised on a family farm in Benton County, Iowa beginning about age five back in the early days of the Great Depression when there was no indoor plumbing or electricity. Life was very different from that our children have experienced and I was so impressed with the book I intend to send copies to my grandchildren.

If you are taking a trip in the near future I recommend you put a copy of "LITTLE HEATHENS" in your carry-on luggage for a wonderful, easy, and relaxed reading experience. You will love it too if you just enjoy a good read at home. It’s a great change of pace with no discussion of politics, corruption, or violence. I hope you enjoy the journey back in time. The read rekindled wonderful memories of my childhood when my parents and I would visit the family farms in Kankakee, Illinois. Yes, it was a kinder, gentler and simpler period in our history.

COMMANDER GRANGER

No comments: